Canada Scholarships

Canada Immigration: Admission to Study and Work in Canada

Sponsored Links

How to get admission to study and work in Canada

Most people dream of studying and working abroad. Canada is a great choice for international students, as it has world-class universities, thriving tech industries, and a low cost of living.

International students can study at Canadian universities by applying directly to the institution or through an international admission agency. A study permit is required in order to work in Canada after you complete your studies, so let’s discuss how to get the study permit.

How to Secure Canadian Study Permit 

There are different ways to apply for a study permit, depending on your nationality and where you plan to study. This guide explains the requirements you must meet in order to be eligible and the documents you will need. The steps below are based on applying from within Canada

Step 1: Prepare an application package

The first step is to gather all the documents you will need to prove your eligibility for the Canadian study permit. You should include official documents and any supporting evidence, for example, copies of your transcripts and your degree certificate, which document your academic qualifications. You will also need to gather documents to prove your financial capacity to fund your stay in Canada, for example, bank statements, proof of income, and employment records.

Step 2: Apply online

Once you have prepared an application package you can apply online by creating a profile on the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (now IRCC). As part of this process, you will be required to pay a processing fee of CA $150.

Step 3: Check the status of your application online

The next step is to check the status of your application online. The process can take between six to nine months, depending on your situation. You should check the status of your application regularly while you wait. 

Step 4: Send the application to your local visa office

You will have to complete an application form and collect additional documentation for each of the countries you are applying from. The documents must be in English or French, at least one of which must have your signature. You will also need to submit your passport and proof of address, such as a utility bill. Your local visa office in Canada will then decide whether you are eligible for a Canadian student or work permit.

Step 5: Wait for the decision

If your application is approved, you will receive a receipt of the application, which you must carry when applying for a study permit in Canada. If your application is declined, you may be required to provide additional documents or information before the decision can be reconsidered. 

Step 6: Obtain your study permit

Once you are approved for a study permit, you may apply for a single entry visa before traveling to Canada, or you can apply for your visa upon arrival at the border. If you do choose to travel with a single entry visa, it means that you must leave Canada within a period of six months and only return once you have received your study permit. You may extend any existing student permits multiple times up to the expiry date without leaving Canada.

How to get work as a student in Canada?

If you are currently studying in Canada, you can take part in a co-op programme, which is an option that allows you to gain relevant work experience while still studying. You can also work on student visas if the amount of time you spend outside the classroom is 20 hours or less per week. The type of work visa you require depends on your nationality and your program of study. Find out about the different student permits below.

If you are a full-time student (i.e. more than 20 hours per week) you are allowed to work on-campus or off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during holidays and other authorized periods of time. If you wish to work on or off-campus, you must apply for a work permit from Service Canada.

You can only work in Canada if you have a valid study permit or if your study program is full-time (more than 15 hours per week). If you work on campus, your employer will apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

If you are a part-time student (i.e. less than 15 hours per week) and wish to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a study permit from IRCC, which will decide whether to offer you one. If you receive a permit, you may then apply for a work permit from Service Canada.


Whether you are a student or an individual with a work permit, Canada is an excellent place to live and study. Its diverse multicultural culture and beautiful landscape will provide you with plenty of opportunities for employment abroad.

Sponsored Links

Leave a Reply

Back to top button